Peter Herbert Gauslin was born 28 Jul 1878 in either Stephenson, Michigan or Green Bay, Wisconsin. His parents were John Henry Gauslin and Mary Jane (Montgomery) Gauslin.
On 03 Dec 1904, Peter married Mabel Edith Wood. Mabel was born 18 Mar 1888 in Peshtigo, Wisconsin. She was a friend of Peter's sister Edith Anora (Gauslin) Nault Moore.
Peter and Mabel had at least seven children. Two were either stillborn or died in infancy, and I don't know their names. The other five were:
- Orville Adrison Harvey Wood Gauslin (1906-before 1910)
- Arvella C. (Gauslin) Riedel Guse (1907-1970)
- Florence Gauslin (1910-1918)
- Gertrude Alice (Riley) Fredericksen Cook (1912-1990)
- Herbert Eugene "Herbie" Gauslin (1913-after 1940)
Mabel remarried twice. She married John Carl Wellehan in 1919, and after his death in 1936, she married Starr Hillis Wallis. Mabel adopted two children with her second husband, Lillian May Janicke and Donald J. Wellehan. Mabel died on 11 Feb 1963 in Chicago, Illinois.
In 1916 or 1917, Peter married Lydia Jane "Jennie" Moore. Jennie was the stepdaughter of Peter's sister Edith, and was about 17 years younger than him. Jennie was born 10 Sep 1895 in Birnamwood, Wisconsin to Ferdel S. "Fred" Moore and Augusta Frederika (Thiede) Moore.
Peter and Jennie had seven named children. There was also at least one stillbirth or miscarriage. Their children were:
- Pelagia Olive "Peg"/"Peggy" (Gauslin) Christopherson (1917-2004)
- Fermal Ida "Fern" (Gauslin) Krahn Elmore (1921-1994)
- Howard Alto "Alto" Gauslin (1923-1931)
- June Eunice (Gauslin) Daft (living)
- John Ivan "Jack" Gauslin (1928-2003)
- Marlyn Evelyn Pellow (1930-2002)
- Carol Lee (Parks) Grimsley Hartshorn (1934-1962)
Jennie died of tuberculosis at her father's home in Rhinelander, Wisconsin during a statewide heat wave on 03 Jun 1934. The surviving six children were sent to live with various relatives, friends, and others. Peg worked for a dentist's family in Minocqua, Wisconsin. Fern briefly lived with the Strong family of the town of Maine, Outagamie County, Wisconsin. The Strongs were Jennie's paternal cousins. June was raised by her maternal grandparents in Rhinelander, as was her brother Jack, though Jack briefly lived with another family. The two youngest children, Marlyn and Carol Lee, were adopted by other families, Archie and Lena (Ziglinski) Pellow of Rhinelander, and Harrell and Elizabeth (Copeland) Parks. The Parks family were neighbors of the Strongs in the town of Maine.